The only correct solution if your PC or laptop has a virus advertising in the browser is to remove the excess with the help of special programs and built-in tools. Ignoring this situation can lead to many problems, including infection of the operating system and the inability to continue working.
Below we will look at how to detect an existing infection and perform removal, and what methods to protect yourself from problems.
The main symptoms of an ad virus in the browser
Before getting rid of viral ads in the browser, it is important to diagnose the problem in time. This can be done using several characteristic parameters::
- The appearance of ads with questionable content.
- Pop-up of advertising banners even when enabling special Adguard and Adblock applications.
- Periodic pop-up of windows with strange suggestions.
- The appearance of ad blocks in places where they usually never existed.
- A warning about blocking your computer without installing an application or performing a specific action.
- Videos or images with erotic content appear when you open the browser.
- Unauthorized creation of new tabs or windows in Web Explorer without the user’s knowledge.
In the cases discussed above, you need to clear your browser of ads and viruses using one of the following methods. The main thing is not to ignore the problem, but to immediately try to correct the situation.
How to remove an ad virus
Removing ad viruses from your computer and browsers can be done in several ways, starting with a banal check using antivirus software, ending with the use of special methods. Below we will look at the main ways to solve the problem without additional costs and involving craftsmen.
Check your system for viruses
The first step to removing malware is to check your entire PC or laptop. For this purpose, you can use any antivirus system, but Dr. Web CureIt is more suitable. You can download the software for free on the official website of Doctor Web and use it to remove everything superfluous. The program does not need to be installed on the device — just download it to a USB flash drive and insert the latter into the USB connector for verification.
Before removing ad viruses in your browser, update the antivirus database. After that, do the following steps::
- Launch the software.
- Select the objects to check and the diagnostic method.
- Check all the boxes and run the program.
Please note that cleaning your PC and browser from viruses and ads can take several hours. This indicator depends on the device’s load of different files. After finding malicious files, they must be quarantined or deleted. Once the process is complete, restart your device and check your browser.
Check out plugins and extensions
Many users use various add-ons to extend the functionality of Web Explorer. This is convenient, but not all of them meet the security requirements. For example, after installing the next extension, a Vulkan ad virus may appear in the browser, and removing it creates a lot of difficulties for users.
To solve the problem, follow these steps::
- Disable the plugins that are available in Web Explorer.
- Delete them one at a time and monitor the situation.
- Identify the extension that you need to delete to restore normal operation in Web Explorer.
Please note that difficulties in working may be due to a conflict between two applications, so you need to enable them one at a time.
Make sure that the Web Explorer shortcut is “clean”
When considering how to remove viral ads in the browser, you can’t ignore a possible problem with the web shortcut.
Some viruses change the description of the web Explorer, which causes third-party programs to fire during startup. To fix it, follow these steps::
- Find the browser icon on your desktop.
- Go to the shortcut properties.
- Delete all labels that come after specifying information after the file path.
- Click the Apply button.
- Then restart your PC or laptop.
Check the recently installed software
One of the ways to remove the ad virus from your browser is to monitor additional apps installed on your device. They are often a source of problems. To solve the problem, follow these steps::
- Go to the Programs and Features section.
- Do the work to remove unnecessary programs and check that the browser is working correctly (an ad virus appears or deleting applications did not work).
- But do not delete the necessary programs. If there is no suspicious software in the list, proceed to the next step.